Regional Roll Out: Invitation to Regions to host U15 Regional Academy
In order to continue to broaden the base from which future England Korfball talent can be drawn, the next stage of the strategy is the creation of new Regional Academies. These will be focussed on the U15 age group. Therefore we would like to invite Regions to submit an application to lead a Regional Academy for U15.
In order to deliver a Regional Academy, a Region must:
- Have a named lead coach and supporting coaching team who are Level 2 or in completion of a L2 EK coaching certificate.
- Have a named academy manager with up to date safeguarding requirements (DBS and UK Coaching ‘Safeguarding and Protecting Children’ course)
- Use the EK Coaching framework (provided) to deliver annual training programmes of development on a monthly basis.
- Delivery needs to be a minimum of 4 hours per month with a maximum of 6 hours and can be managed by the Regions as deemed appropriate. Eg 1x monthly training session or 4 x 1hr evening sessions.
- Athletes need to be aged 12 by September 2023 and no older than 15. If an athlete falls outside the upper limit age range, then they should apply for a place within the Academy (U17) by contacting Steph Watson Academy Lead Coach.
- Be prepared to host 1 x Inter- Region Competition a year. (Total of 4 max across regions across year).
- EK recommends a minimum number of 20 athletes per region. Athletes should recognise they are signing up to an annual programme of development from which selection for U15 takes place at Inter Regional tournaments across the year. We will not be offering ‘Trials’ or a ‘Prep to Play’model.
- Costs to athletes should be administered on an annual basis as the programme is an annual training programme and regions should ensure their hall hire/costs are covered through fees and offer best value for money for parents.
- Regional Academies are open access unless more than 40 athletes within the U15 stated category apply. If applicant numbers are larger than this, please contact EK who will provide guidance for the Region.
- Commit to EK safeguarding and other policies
- Be able to start delivery in September 2023.
England Korfball will support the delivery of the Regional Academy Programme by providing:
- EK Coaching framework for coaches as guide for curriculum/content delivery
- Access to EK branded staff and athlete kit
- Coach mentoring/support and coaching pathway to access England performance programme (Academy and DTS)
- Support in access to qualifications, safeguarding and coach training opportunities.
- Support in delivery of the Inter Regional Competition. (Regions to host)
- Selection for IKF U15 and U15 Flanders tournaments with opportunity for lead U15 coach role.
Based on current player numbers and initial expressions of interest from Regions, we estimate the set up and delivery of four Regional Academies in Year 1 of the roll out:
- North West (Lancashire)
- East (Cambs & Norfolk)
- South East (Kent & Essex)
- London (Inner & Greater London)
However if there are further regions who wish to set up an Academy, please contact EK.Regional Academy coaching staff are expected to fully align with the EK performance strategy and philosophy of athlete centred development as set out in the Strategic Plan.
To allow time for Regions to make hall bookings and advertise to athletes, we would appreciate a deadline of Monday 7th August.