3 November 2013

Dean Woods


EKL Matchweek 4 – Round up

Week 4 of England’s Premier Korfball League took place on Sunday, 03 November 2013, once again all ten sides were in action with matches in Surrey, Kent, Norwich and Birmingham.


Bearsted (15) v Croydon (16)

The first of the matches to start at 11:30 was between the teams in 9th and 10th place in the league, Bearsted and Croydon, played at Aylesford School Sports College, Kent. Both teams traded goals throughout the first half with the home side just in front at half-time (11-9). Two early substitutions by Croydon Coach Carr-Taylor in the second half was the impetus that the visitors needed. Croydon eventually levelled the score and then moved ahead. The final few minutes of the match was real edge of your seat stuff! Croydon were able to hold off the final few attacks from Bearsted to take both points. Speaking after the match, Croydon player/coach, Ross Carr-Taylor said: “We didn’t stick to our game plan which made it difficult for us, bearsted defended well, we were lucky to get the result.” Top scorer in the match was Croydon’s Toby Clarke with eight open play goals. Referee: Dean Woods

Nomads (14) v Bec (25)

The other match at 11:30 was between Nomads and Bec at Epsom College, Surrey.


“I’m very pleased with the performance. It’s still early in the season, the team is still gelling. Today against Nomads we created a lot of good chances and scored some great goals. I made a number of changes during the match today, bringing on Karen Sparrow, Hoyei Chow and Blake Palfreyman and was delighted with their performances. Getting into the top 4 and the play-offs is our priority, we’ve already beaten Kingfisher and now Nomads, so we’re well on the road to achieve our first target. Next up, Trojans!” Dave Buckland, Bec Head Coach.


“A difficult match today with a lot of positives to take and weaknesses to be worked on in training, the score line was more flattering with a haul of goals coming near the end when the game was being chased, overall very disappointing to lose to rivals Bec, but a positive that even though they had four England male Internationals start today it didn’t go all their own way.” Ean Irwin, Nomads player/captain.

Referee: Steve Jones.

KV (15) v Trojans (17)

The second of the days matches at Aylesford School Sports College was between KV and defending league champions, Trojans. In a competitive but relatively low scoring first half, Trojans went into the halftime break leading 6-7. The home side conceded a number of goals without reply early in the second half, but managed to pulled claw their way back into the match to within two which ensured a high intensity final period. With 10 minutes remaining Trojans coach, Gary Brooks, received a straight red card from Referee Dibble. It’s expected that Trojans will appeal to allow ensure coach Brooks is on the sidelines for their next match against league contenders Bec.


Speaking after the match, KV’s player/coach James McDonald said: “Overall a great performance from KV and I’m very proud of the whole squad who all played their part, five more minutes and we would of had them!” Trojans, Sam Brooks simply said “it was a close match, we’re glad we’ve come away with both points”. Referee: Adam Dibble.


Norwich Knights (17) v Tornadoes (13)

Norwich Knights continued their impressive start to the 2013/14 season with their third win of the campaign to maintain their 100% record. Next week Norwich Knights travel to Birmingham City. Can the newly prompted team from Birmingham put an end to Knights’ winning streak? Referee: Paul Ashworth

Birmingham City (11) v Kingfisher (22) – Birmingham City’s second match of the 2013/14 season was against last season’s runners up, Kingfisher (Kent).


Andy Davis, player, Birmingham City said: “A very competitive first thirty minutes where goals were traded between both sides. Ultimately Birmingham’s inexperience got the better of them. Kingfishers were very smart around the post, hit their long shots and ran out comfortable winners.”


“After trading goals in the opening 15 minutes, Kingfisher showed their class against a physically competitive Birmingham side. Eventually doubling the home side’s score and denying them their first win of the season. An enjoyable game, well reffed in excellent facilities.” Chris Martin, Kingfisher player/coach.

Referee: Dave Ansell