1 April 2014

Dean Woods


EKL Round up Matchweek 17

Sunday 30 March 2013 was Mother’s Day in England as well as the penultimate match day in the England Korfball Premier League. There were five matches across the country with 161 goals scored in total – with two of the matches won by a single goal. Here’s our regular weekly summary of all the action…

BEC (9) v TROJANS (20) – Referee: Paul Jeanes.

It was 1st vs 2nd in the league table in the opening match of round 17 of the Premier League. Defending league champions Trojans KC made the short journey across Croydon to play title contenders Bec KC at Whitgift Sports Centre. In the earlier fixture in November-2013 it was Trojans who took both points with a 22-19 victory. Trojans maintained their 100% win ratio in the league with a convincing 9-20 win.

Speaking shortly after the match, Trojans coach, Gary Brooks said “[it was] a good team performance with some good one-on-one battles and match ups. A freak warm up injury to Matt Brooks meant some hasty changes before the start. After a slow start our shot conversion improved whilst remaining focussed on our opponents threat. Sam Brooks top scored with 8. Next weeks final match is eagerly awaited”

Trojans placed Bec’s main attackers under greater defensive pressure than previous games – limiting England International Joe Bedford to only two open play goals and shutting out England International and Bec captain, Davesh Patel completely.

Dave Buckland, Bec coach “Trojans deserved to win the game. If you only score 9 goals you won’t win a game. We created a lot of chances but missed too many which we were punished for. The play-offs were our target and we have four weeks of hard work to prepare ourselves for the Nomads game.”

With both Trojans KC and Bec KC suffering from a number of high profile injuries, both clubs and coaches will welcome the 4 week gap before the league play-offs at the end of April.

KV (20) v KINGFISHER (21) – Referee: Azi Seiber.

The second match of the day was a local Kent derby match between KV and Kingfisher played at Medway Park, Gillingham. In the first encounter between the teams it was KV who won 16-28, however in the return fixture it was Kingfisher who took both points with a 20-21 victory to move them onto 18 points, equal with their opponents and Norwich Knights. Top scorer in the match with seven goals was KV captain, James McDonald. John Denton top scored for Kingfisher with six goals from open play.

Player/coach of Kingfishers, Chris Martin said “A good hard competitive derby game from both sets of players. After pegging back KV midway through the second half after going 3 goals down we managed to go up a gear to run out well deserved winners. Players and supporters are now going into next weeks enthralling encounter [vs. Trojans], confident of an upset.”

NOMADS (17) v NORWICH KNIGHTS (16) – Referee: Anna Jeanes.

Nomads made it back to back victories in the league with a thrilling 17-16 win over Norwich Knights to notch up their 13th win of the season so far. Dave Butters, Nomads coach said: “As we look towards the play-offs, it was important to continue winning by taking the points against Knights, as this builds confidence and moral. Our team showed character and self belief when we could have let this match slip away, which gives us valuable experience closing out and winning tight matches”

The Norwich Knights coach, Joe Stirling said “Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde performance. After conceding the first five goals in the opening 15 minutes we showed real class to get ourselves in front before half-time. Second half was a more even affair, where we offered Nomads just one too many easy opportunities which you cannot afford against a team with quality”

“With another 7 goals from open play, Charlie [Vogwill] was player of the match, also limiting the leagues top scorer to one goal from open play in the process”

England Korfball also caught up with two of Nomads top players, Sytze Bijker and Heather Ikwuemesi after the match; “It was a hard game for us today with Norwich Knights putting us under a lot of pressure in attack, and shooting well from long distance. Definitely one of the toughest games of the season so far. We showed good character, and did well to get away with the 2 points in the end.” said Sytze Bijker.

“Knowing Norwich were fighting for a place in the playoffs, we knew they weren’t going to hold back today. They pressured us throughout the game and took their chances when possible. Although we have already qualified , each game up until the playoffs is still extremely vital for us. We were able to stay calm under pressure and score when it most mattered. A competitive game from start to finish and good news for Nomads knowing we are on the right tracks and making good progress ahead of the playoffs.” Heather Ikwuemesi.

TORNADOES (17) v BEARSTED (10) – Referee: Steve Jones.

Tornadoes returned to winning ways with a 17-10 victory over local rivals Bearsted KC. Bearsted competed well during the match but didn’t have enough to really worry Tornadoes. The home side were in control throughout the match. Speaking after the match Tornadoes player/coach Corinne Buckland said: “Had a good start  but lost momentum, created lots of chances but didn’t finished off.”

England U19 International Dan Brown (Tornadoes) commented on the performance “We had some changes to the squad today, and even though we came out with 2 points, we never seemed to get into the game. But overall happy with 2 points at the end of the game”

Bearsted’s Karl Sieber said “Bearsted struggled to look after the ball and Tornadoes. Having more possessions and shooting chances ultimately cost us the game. John Haggart (5 goals) and Rebecca Stone (4 goals) did their best to keep us in it with some red hot shooting but Bearsted unfortunately never recovered from their opponents taking an early lead.”

BIRMINGHAM CITY (19) v CROYDON (12) – Referee: David Bond.

The final match of the day was at Bromsgrove School, Birmingham. Birmingham City hosted Croydon in the 14:30 BST match with the home side running out 19-12 winners. Player/coach of Birmingham City, Jess Beale said: ““A hard fought match with both teams scoring with theirs first attacks. Both teams dug deep but with a 9-4 lead at halftime we grew in confidence and saw out the second half 19-12 winners. Goals were shared throughout most of our team, and strong defence limited croydon’s top scorers to only 4 a piece. Having secured our place at the champions trophy we are looking forward to battling to keep our place in the national league.”

“It was a tough match today, we had a few promising spells where we looked dangerous but Birmingham outshot us at crucial points and recycled the ball well which let them keep a several goal cushion to give them a comfortable victory in the end. They are a good team and deserved the win today” Croydon’s Toby Clarke speaking on Sunday evening.

Speaking about the result Croydon player/coach Ross Carr-Taylor said “Disappointing result found it hard playing against rebound defence which killed the game for is, all credit to Birmingham on a great first season. Good luck to them in the playoffs”

Next weekend (6 April 2014) the England Korfball Premier League matches will all take place in Croydon at Whitgift Sports Centre.

Birmingham City
Norwich Knights