England Korfball Advert for Board member with legal experience
England Korfball is recruiting a Board member with legal experience to support the growth and development of korfball in England. We are seeking a professional with suitable experience/expertise to add to the existing committed volunteers. The Board oversees the strategic direction of the organisation. Korfball is an attractive, fast moving, team sport played by men and women together extensively in Europe and the far-east.
England Korfball’s mission is ‘to boldly and creatively enable a growing korfball community to play, volunteer, enjoy and promote korfball’.
Are you interested in sport, can think and act strategically and bring expertise from a sport or other professional context? Then we’d love to hear from you. This is a voluntary position with the remit to help form and influence the strategic direction of the organisation. We particularly encourage and welcome applications from women and from ethnic minorities.
To discuss the role, please contact Ellen Pearce, Chair on email@example.com
England Korfball is a membership organisation. The Board represents the interests of the members and we use skills based criteria to identify the make up of experience/expertise of Board members. The EK Board comprises up to ten people with a range of elected and appointed officers with the skills and expertise to meet the needs of the sport.
The board members fill a variety of roles. Independent directors will possess specific skills that the organisation needs now as well as offering an objective, independent view. It is essential that the independent members bring a strategic, objective and balanced view to the role whilst recognising the interests of the members.
Most Board members will also Chair a sub-committee and/or lead a programme of work.
The Board meets roughly six times each year, usually online in the evening but with occasional face-to-face meetings at weekends. The Board oversees a set of technical committees and working groups that are formed to pursue and deliver EK’s strategic operating plan.
It is anticipated that the time commitment is one to two days per month after the induction period. This includes attendance at up to six Board meetings and participation in at least one of the Board committees/or work programmes. Meetings are usually by conference call.
Expenses will be paid in accordance with EK’s expense policy.
The duties of a Member are:
- To ensure that EK complies with its Rules and constitution and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure EK applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- To contribute actively to the role of the Board in giving strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of EK. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of EK. To ensure the financial stability of EK.
In addition to the above, each member should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or on other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
- High level of Integrity/Probity.
- Ability to challenge in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Ability to demonstrate Leadership.
- Demonstrable commitment to Ethics within the sport.
- Demonstrable commitment to Equal Opportunities and Equity.
- Demonstrate reliability.
- Awareness and importance of Collective Responsibility.
- Ability to work in Partnership.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively.
- Awareness of fiduciary responsibility.
- Enthusiasm for Korfball.
Skills and Experience
England Korfball is currently seeking Board members with experience in Legal/HR. Our aim is to ensure there is expertise within the group to cover all these strategic areas. If you also have experience in other areas, please highlight this in your application.
- Further/ Higher Education
- Finance planning and reporting
- Commercial sales and income generation
- Knowledge of the sport
- Marketing and sponsorship seeking
- Public relations
- Club Development
- Coach education and development
- Risk Management
- Equality and diversity
- Membership development
- Strategic planning
- Lobbying and campaigning
- Not for profit organisations
- Legal and Human Resources
England Korfball recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, particularly where we are under-represented, currently, this includes people with a disability, young people aged under 30, women and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups. The geographical spread of Korfball in England has increased over recent years and we encourage applications from all areas of the country.
How to apply
Closing date for applications is 5pm on 19th February 2023.